Our 2017 summer is wide open. Make that, was, wide open. Lisa has a trip to the East Coast with her eighth grade students, and is set to return by June 30th. That means that we have the rest of July and part of August to plan a vacation. I was content to just not book anything and wait for any last minute deals to come along, giving us a bit of freedom and mystery as to where we were to go. But alas, I received an email this morning from Emirates Airlines with a deal that was just too good to pass up.
Round trip flights for two people for just $899 during the peak summer season. The catch? It was only valid from New York City’s JFK airport to Milan, Italy. Milan, let alone Italy, wasn’t really on my radar for a place to travel to. I was thinking more the United Kingdom or France. But hey, Italy! Sure, if the price is right, let’s do it. And so I researched the flights and did my due diligence by the following:
- The promotion stated that there were also flights available from Portland and Seattle for around $1400, with other fine print restrictions, including all flights would have to go through JFK and on to Milan. So I checked on flights from Portland to Milan or Seattle to Milan. The best price was too much to consider — $2500 round trip.
- I looked up discount airlines – Condor, Norwegian and Corsair. Nothing close.
- I priced nonstop direct flights from Portland to Europe general on Delta, Lufthansa and Icelandair. Again, nothing attractive.
- Finally, I used hipmunk.com and Google flights for flights all over Europe. The best was still around $1700, still too much for what I wanted to pay.
The Emirates deal was still available when I searched for their JFK – Milan flights, departing July 5th and returning on August 10th. That’s exactly five weeks to spend in Europe. And upon further investigation, apparently Milan is a hub for discount airlines that fly all over Europe. So conceivably, we could just be flexible and scope out deals for other European cities and then just take a cheap flight there from Milan.
Thus, a round trip flight for two people on a great airline for $899 was a no-brainer. We just have to find round trip flights to New York from Portland, which I don’t think will be too much of an issue. Between Southwest Airlines and our Alaska Airlines $121 companion fare, I figure that the most we would spend out of pocket is $600. Together that will be $1500 to fly to Europe and back in the peak of summer. That is just too good a deal to pass up, so I booked the flight. Hello, Italy, here we come!
2 passengers, Economy Saver Fare on Emirates Airlines
JFK – MXP
Airfare: USD 192.00
Carrier imposed charges: USD 512.00
Taxes, fees and charges: USD 191.52
Total price in US Dollars USD 895.52
All the Fine Print Details:
*Terms and Conditions apply.
Fares quoted above are the lowest fare to Milan (MXP) from the lowest priced gateway. Click here for a full list of fares and terms and conditions. Emirates flies from Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas Ft. Worth (DFW), Fort Lauderdale (FLL–commencement of service start December 15, 2016), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), Orlando (MCO), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington DC (IAD) utilizing Emirates operated flights only.
• Fare shall only be applicable to tickets purchased from 00:01 (EDT) on October 28, 2106 through 23:59 (EST) on October 31, 2016
• Commencement of outbound travel from New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) shall be from December 01, 2016 through April 10, 2017 and April 20, 2017 through August 31, 2017.
• Economy Class fare is applicable for two (2) passengers, traveling roundtrip together on the same itinerary in the same booking record (PNR). Select destination fares starting from:
• $899 USD from New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) only utilizing scheduled Emirates non-stop transatlantic services (EK205, EK206)
• $1,049 USD from Boston (BOS), Syracuse (SYR), Washington (IAD), Rochester (ROC), Vermont (BTV), Portland (PWM), Buffalo (BUF), Morrisville (RDU), Charlotte (CLT), and Charleston (CHS) connecting via New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) utilizing scheduled Emirates transatlantic services (EK205, EK206)
• $1,139 USD from Savannah (SAV), Chicago (ORD), Jacksonville (JAX), Orlando (MCO), Tampa (TPA), Palm Beach (PBI), Sarasota (SRQ), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Fort Myers (RSW) New Orleans (MSY), William P. Hobby Houston (HOU), Austin (AUS), Denver (DEN), and Albuquerque (ABQ) connecting via New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) utilizing scheduled Emirates transatlantic services (EK205, EK206)
• $1,239 USD from Salt Lake City (SLC), Phoenix (PHX), Las Vegas (LAS), Seattle (SEA),San Diego (SAN), Portland (PDX), Long Beach (LGB), Burbank (BUR), Los Angeles (LAX), Sacramento (SMF), San José (SJC), San Francisco (SFO), and Palm Springs (PSP) connecting via New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) utilizing scheduled Emirates transatlantic services (EK205, EK206)
• $1,319 USD from Saint Martin (SXM), Aruba (AUA), Barbados (BGI), Bermuda (BDA), Nassau (NAS), Cartagena Colombia (CTG), Liberia Costa Rica (LIR), Puerto Plata (POP), Santiago de los Caballeros (STI), Samaná (AZS), Punta Cana (PUJ), La Romana (LRM), Punta Caucedo (SDQ), Port-au-Prince (PAP), Montego Bay (MBJ), Kingston (KIN), Grand Cayman (GCM), Saint Lucia (UVF), Canćun (CUN), Aguadilla Puerto Rico (BQN), San Juan (SJU), Bogotá Colombia (BOG), Ponce Puerto Rico (PSE), Turks & Caicos Islands (PLS), Trinidad & Tobago (POS) and Mexico City (MEX) connecting via New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) utilizing scheduled Emirates transatlantic services (EK205, EK206)
• Travel must be completed on or before September 7, 2017
• Advanced Purchase: 7 Days
• Minimum stay: 7 Days
• Maximum stay: 3 Months
• Ticketing time limit is 24 hours from the time of booking
• Inbound blackout dates from Milan (MXP): January 1, 2017 through January 8, 2017
• Stopovers are not permitted in either direction
• Roundtrip connections via additional gateways and Interline points may incur additional tax and surcharges
• A $100 weekend surcharge fee applies in either direction per passenger (outbound is Thursday through Saturday and inbound is Saturday through Monday)
• Changes must take place for all passengers in the itinerary at the same time
• Reservation changes permitted before or after departure at a fee of $200 per passenger
• Cancelations before or after departure are not refundable
• Changes due to No-shows are subject to a fee of $400 per passenger
• No refund on partly-utilized tickets
• Ticket revalidations are subject to a fee of $200 per passenger
• Ticket reissues are subject to a fee of $200 per passenger
• All changes must be done for both passengers traveling together with the same itinerary and booking record (PNR)
• Child/Infant Discounts: None Applicable. Children pay the applicable adult fare
• The offer is combinable only with fares of the same Fare Basis Code (TCMEPUS4/LCMEPUS4), these are not promotional codes
• Fares include all applicable government taxes and fees
• Fares are subject to availability at time of booking on emirates.com/us